Mobility Express of Georgia
Georgia’s leading supplier of scooters, power chairs, walkers, chair lifts, and manual wheelchairs for people with limited mobility.
Store Managers: Sue & Jerry Sharp
 
 
 
770-998-9984
 
Hours of Operation
M-F 9am-5pm. Sat. 10am-2pm
Schedule Appointment
Click here for more Medicare Information
FAQs
 
Quick answers to frequently asked Medicare questions
  • Assigned vs. Non-Assigned Claims: Assigned means no out of pocket; non-assigned means you pay up-front (reimbursement for purchase).
  • Capped-Rental: Paid as a monthly rental and not as a reimbursable purchase.
  • Hospital Beds, Adjustable Beds: Hospital beds are capped-rentals, adjustable beds are not covered. See your local store for rentals.
  • Lift Chairs: The lift-mechanism is covered, about $350 reimbursement. Files as a non-assigned claim, meaning you pay up front.
  • Patient Lifts: Patient lifts are a capped-rental item. See your local store for rentals.
  • Manual Wheelchairs: Capped-rental. All manual wheelchairs are covered by Medicare as rental only. See your local store if you want Medicare to cover a manual wheelchair.
  • Power Wheelchairs: Power wheelchairs purchased over the internet cannot be filed as a non-assignment claim.
  • Power Scooters (POVs): Power scooters purchased over the internet cannot be filed as a non-assignment claim.
  • Walkers and Rollators: Medicare will cover a portion of the cost of your walker or rollator.
 
How to Obtain Medicare Coverage
Q How do I obtain Medicare coverage for medical equipment I need in the home?
A In most cases a doctor's written prescription (Rx) is all that is required, or dispensing order written by the treating physician. Some items require a Detailed Written Order (DWO) prior to delivery or a Certificate of Medical Necessity (CMN).
A dispensing order (prescription) must include:
  • A description of the item
  • The beneficiary's full name
  • The date of order
  • Physician's signature and date
A Detailed Written Order must include:
  • Detailed description of the item and accessories
  • The beneficiary's full name
  • An ICD-9-CM diagnosis code
  • Start date of the order
  • The length of need
  • Physician's signature and date
 
Begin Processing Medicare Claim
Q What do you need to begin processing your Medicare claim?
A Once you have placed your order, you can fax or email us the following information:
  • Full legal name of patient, address, phone number.
  • Full name, FAX number and UPIN of prescribing doctor. (Ask doctor for their UPIN number)
  • Doctor's prescription for desired equipment, which must include patient's diagnosis.
  • Patient's Medicare number, which must include the alpha character after the number (A, B, D, etc).
  • Patient's date of birth.
  • Patient's height & weight.
 
Medicare Assignment and Non-Assignment Billing
Q What does "assigned" and "non-assigned" mean?
A "Assigned" means the supplier accepts the Medicare-approved fee for the equipment. Medicare pays for 80% of the approved fee. The beneficiary is responsible for the remaining 20%. "Non-assigned" means the beneficiary pays the supplier in full for the equipment and the supplier submits the claim to Medicare. If the item is covered, Medicare reimburses the beneficiary 80% of the approved fee.
 
 
Which products are covered by Medicare
Q What is Covered by Medicare?

A Medicare Part B helps pay for durable medical equipment, including;
  • manual wheelchairs (capped rental)
  • power wheelchairs
  • some positioning devices
  • walkers, rollators
  • scooters
  • seat-lift mechanisms for lift-chairs
  • mattress over-lays (capped rental)
  • hospital beds, semi-electric type only (capped rental)
  • patient lifts (capped rental)
  • oxygen equipment (capped rental)
  • artificial limbs
  • orthotics, splints
If you want Medicare coverage on one of the product types listed above, visit a local dealer that sells/rents equipment and bills Medicare. Many people are surprised that manual wheelchairs and hospital beds fall under "capped rental" items. For these "capped rental" items, the dealer (provider) is required to maintain the equipment over the lease period (13 months).
Durable medical equipment, such as wheelchairs, are covered only when prescribed by a doctor and the coverage criteria is met.
 
Products Not Covered by Medicare
Q What is NOT covered by Medicare?
A Equipment not covered by Medicare includes; adaptive daily living aids such as: ramps, automobile lifts, reachers, sock-aids, utensils, transfer benches, shower chairs, raised toilet seats,and grab bars. Basically, Medicare stops at the bathroom door. For more detailed information regarding coverage, call 1-800-MEDICARE.
 
Coverage in Nursing Home
Q What is covered in a nursing home or skilled nursing facility?
A Under Part A, orthotics and durable medical equipment are not covered. Under Part B, only orthotics can be covered. If you are about to be discharged from a nursing home or skilled nursing facility, medical equipment can be delivered two days prior to discharge to allow the staff and family to learn how to use the equipment.
 
Coverage for your Home
Q What is considered, home?
A Home medical equipment must be appropriate for use in the home. Your "home" is your house, assisted living facility, apartment, a relative's home, or a group home in which you live. However, certain facility's are NOT CONSIDERED YOUR HOME: a hospital, skilled nursing facility, or nursing facility.
 
Capped Rental
Q What does capped rental mean?
A For the majority of products covered by Medicare, 80% of the rental is covered for 13 continuous months of use. Most secondary insurers pick up the remaining 20%.
Products covered as capped rental of 13 months:
  • Hospital beds.
  • Manual wheelchairs.
  • Patient lifts.
  • Some support surfaces such as low-air-loss and alternating pressure mattress.
After Medicare has paid for 13 months of continuous use, the supplier may transfer the title to the beneficiary.
 
Medicare Coverage of Manual Wheelchair
Q Are manual wheelchairs covered by Medicare?
A In almost all cases, manual wheelchairs are covered by Medicare as a "capped rental." This means that Medicare pays approximately 80% of the monthly rental and you are responsible for the remaining 20% or this may be covered by secondary insurance. You must use a local dealer that rents chairs and bills Medicare for the monthly rental fees. Some ultra-lightweight wheelchairs have a K0005 billing code and can be billed as a purchase.
 
 
Rollator & Walker Coverage
Q Are walkers and rollators covered?
A Medicare will allow a walker or rollator every 5 years. They cover 80% of the allowed amount set by Medicare. If you have a supplement insurance that covers the 20%, reimbursement is usually about $125.00. Regardless of whether your rollator costs $150 or $350, the reimbursement amount is basically the same, unless qualifying for heavy-duty or Bariatric walker. Rollators are coded as walkers with appropriate accessories (wheels, seat, hand brakes). Visit a local supplier that bills Medicare if you want Medicare assistance with walkers and rollators.
Q What should the doctor's prescriptions say for a rollator?
A Walker with 4 wheels, seat, and handbrakes.
 
Adjustable Bed Coverage
Q Does Medicare pay or reimburse for adjustable beds?
A Medicare coverage for a bed is limited to a semi-electric hospital bed and all hospital beds are covered as a capped rental only. Medicare does not cover adjustable beds.
 
Hospital Bed Coverage
Q Does Medicare pay or reimburse for hospital beds?
A Medicare covers hospital beds as a capped rental item. This means that you must use a vendor in your local area that rents equipment and bills Medicare for the monthly fees. Your local dealer will install and maintain this "capped rental" equipment. Medicare does not consider a full-electric hospital bed, adjustable bed, or other luxury beds to be medically necessary.
 
Overbed Tables
Q Are overbed or bedside tables covered by Medicare?
A Over-bed tables and bedside tables are not classified as a medical necessity and are not covered.
 
 
Transfer Boards
Q Are transfer boards covered by Medicare?
A Transfer boards may be considered medically necessary for patients with medical conditions that limit their ability to transfer from wheelchair to bed, chair, or toilet. For Medicare coverage of these products contact us.
 
Patient Lift Coverage
Q Are patient lifts covered by Medicare?
A Patient lifts are reimbursed as a capped rental item. This means that you must visit a local dealer/retailer that rents such equipment and bills Medicare for the monthly fees. Medicare reimburses 80% of rental for up to 13 months. This capped-rental coverage is for a standard hydraulic-manual lift and sling. Power lifts and standing lifts are not covered. For Medicare coverage of these products visit a local supplier.
Q Are stand-up patient lifts covered by Medicare?
A No. Patient lift coverage is for a manual/hydraulic patient lift only. Visit a local supplier to rent a patient lift.
 
Power Wheelchair Coverage
Q What is Medicare's coverage criteria for motorized or power wheelchairs?
A Medicare may pay for a motorized wheelchair. Although it is not guaranteed that you will qualify or be reimbursed by Medicare, whether you personally lay out the price for one, or are looking for Medicare to purchase one for you, we can give you some guidelines to follow and the basic criteria that must be met in order for Medicare to either reimburse or authorize payment for a motorized unit. A power wheelchair is covered when all of the following criteria are met:
  • The patient's condition is such that without the use of a wheelchair the patient
    would otherwise be bed or chair confined.
  • The patient's condition is such that a wheelchair is medically necessary and the
    patient is unable to operate a wheelchair manually.
  • The patient is capable of safely operating the controls for the power wheelchair.
A patient who requires a power wheelchair usually is totally non-ambulatory and has severe weakness of the upper extremities due to a neurological or muscular disease/condition. If the documentation does not support the medical necessity of a power wheelchair but does support the medical necessity of a manual wheelchair, payment is based on the allowance for the least costly medically appropriate alternative. However, if the power wheelchair has been purchased, and the manual wheelchair on which payment is based is in the capped rental category, the power wheelchair will be denied as not medically necessary. Options that are beneficial primarily in allowing the patient to perform leisure or recreational activities are non-covered.
 
Power Scooter Coverage
Q What is Medicare's coverage of power operated vehicles (POVs) or scooters?
A A power operated vehicle (POV) is covered when all of the following criteria are met:
  • The patient's condition is such that a wheelchair is required for the patient to get around in the home.
  • The patient is unable to operate a manual wheelchair.
  • The patient is capable of safely operating the controls for the POV.
  • The patient can transfer safely in and out of the POV and has adequate trunk stability to be able to safely ride in the POV.
Most POVs are ordered for patients who are capable of ambulation within the home but require a power vehicle for movement outside the home. POVs will be denied as not medically necessary in these circumstances. A POV that is beneficial primarily in allowing the patient to perform leisure or recreational activities will be denied as not medically necessary. If a mobility scooter is covered, a wheelchair provided at the same time or subsequently will usually be denied as not medically necessary.
 
Lift Chair Coverage
Q Will Medicare pay for a lift chair?
A For Medicare coverage of these products, visit a local supplier. Only the seat lift mechanism on a lift chair could be considered medically necessary if all of the following coverage criteria are met:
  • The patient must have severe arthritis of the hip or knee or have a severe neuromuscular disease.
  • The seat lift mechanism must be a part of the physician's course of treatment and be prescribed to effect improvement, or arrest or retard deterioration in the patient's condition.
  • The patient must be completely incapable of standing up from a regular armchair or any chair in their home. (The fact that a patient has difficulty or is even incapable of getting up from a chair, particularly a low chair, is not sufficient justification for a seat lift mechanism. Almost all patients who are capable of ambulating can get out of an ordinary chair if the seat height is appropriate and the chair has arms.)
  • Once standing, the patient must have the ability to ambulate (walk).
Coverage of seat lift mechanisms is limited to those types which operate smoothly, can be controlled by the patient, and effectively assist a patient in standing up and sitting down without other assistance. Coverage is limited to the seat lift mechanism, even if it is incorporated into a chair. Medicare reimbursement is approximately $275.00.
 
Ramps
Q Does Medicare cover wheelchair lifts and ramps?
A Medicare does not reimburse nor authorize the purchase of mobility lifts or ramps for a wheelchair or scooter at this time. Such items are typically not considered a medical necessity because they can also be used by persons without a medical condition.
 
Medicare Co-payments
Q Do I have to pay the 20% co-payment to Medicare?
A After you have met your deductible, you're still responsible for paying directly, or through supplemental insurance, at least 20 percent of the Medicare approved amount. This co-payment may not be dropped by the supplier except in hardship situations and only on a case-by-case basis. A supplier who routinely drops the co-payment may be violating federal law.

 

Sales, Service, Repair, Rental
Mobility Express of Georgia's award winning customer service staff are here to provide you with top of the line service and support.